U.S. individuals or entities often need to obtain the letter of U.S. residency certification (Form 6166) from Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Such certificates are submitted to their foreign withholding tax agents or their company representatives in the foreign country for the following reasons:
- To claim benefits possible under tax treaty between U.S. and the foreign country or
- To obtain an exemption from a VAT imposed by the foreign country.
More information on Tax Treaties between U.S. and foreign countries can be found on U.S. Department of Treasury website via link http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Pages/default.aspx or in IRS Publication 515 "Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities" (commonly referred to as "Tax Treaty Tables") via link http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf
Form 6166 is a computer-generated letter printed on the U.S. Department of Treasury letterhead with the facsimile signature of the Field Director, Philadelphia Accounts Management Center. To obtain Form 6166, one must fill out the Form 8802. This is a Federal document and can be authenticated or apostilled only by US Department of State!
More information on this topic and instructions how to fill out Form 8802 can be found on IRS website via link http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8802/index.html
How to Use Our Services
Unfortunately, we cannot obtain IRS Tax Certificates on your behalf. However, we will be very happy to assist you with our U.S. Department of State authentication and consular legalization services in Washington, DC.
It is super-easy to use our services if you follow the below suggested algorithm of actions:
- You contact us preferably by email explaining your document situation. If it is urgent, you can call us 24/7. Please provide as many details as possible about your documents but the key information we usually need is: 1) who issued them, 2) where you intend to use them, 3) how many you have, 4) are they originals or notarized copies, 5) how fast you need them back and 6) the destination they need to be sent to. If your shipment destination (after processing) is neither in the USA nor in Canada, then we would need the exact address including postal code so that we can give you exact courier quote.
- We will reply by email as well as fast as we can with our comments, suggestions, questions and/or confirmation with preliminary or final quote.
- You can then write us back with additional questions, comments or concerns. Or you may just be satisfied and ready to send your documents.
- At this stage we agree on the course of action and our services. You would make the payment, ship the documents and email us the tracking # so that we can start tracking your inbound shipment and provide you interim updates.
- We will complete your service request and ship the documents back to your agreed destination either in your attached prepaid envelope with filled out air waybill or in our envelope (but we would have to charge you extra for this service). If you prefer, we can scan the completed documents and email them to you prior outbound shipment so you would know that we did indeed do everything as previously discussed.
- After shipment is sent, we will email you the tracking # so that you can monitor the arrival.
We hope to hear from you soon!